Saturday 29 December 2012

A Year in Review: Andy’s Best Games of the Year



Tons of games have been released in the last year many of them good, many of them bad and even more of them are COD-clones! My experiences this year with games have been a mixed bag, from the best like Mass Effect 3 to games like Resident Evil 6, which sucked me dry of hope for the franchise. Below are my top three video games for the past year:

Dishonored

Dishonored_Corvo_Attano_WallpaperThis game changed the way games are played. Do you sneak up and silently take out your target? Do you run in guns and magic blazing, killing all in sight? Or do you search around, finding ways to get rid of your targets in a non-lethal fashion? I have played the game through over four times and never got the same outcome at the end as my different actions affected the story, the city and it’s citizens. My most memorable moment of the game was attending a masquerade ball and, rather than killing the target, I met a man willing to take them away with him if I just delivered them to a boat in the cellar. I did this by just possessing the target and walking to the cellar past all of their bodyguards and knocking the target out after I had separated from them. The freedom to do whatever you want in whatever way you want makes this game stand out as a shining example of where games should head in future.

1355979284_1Borderlands 2

The first game was one of the few that I would still play again and again. The second game added better characters with more detailed skill trees, various new enemies, diverse environments and more guns. The guys over at Gearbox also created one of my favourite characters of this generation, Handsome Jack, a character who swings from being calm to being completely insane in a second. Added to this, I admire the campaign that Gearbox have done to advertise this game online, they have created retro games ,online skill trees and mini games. If a third game in this series is released, it shall be a day one purchase for me as this series looks to be getting better and better.

SkyrimSkyrim

Despite being released in 2011, I played this game well into 2012 and was one game that I spent 120+ hours mastering all that I could in the game and as the abilities and the quests are so varied, from joining the different guilds to an assassination mission on the Emperor, there never tends to be boring moment. I have still not found all there possibly is to find and it astounds me how Bethesda can fit a living, breathing world into the game and still keep it looking, for the most part, beautiful. Taking the time to just explore through this game affords you views and adventures that you rarely see in other games and the vast history that has been created through the first four games in addition to this one gives the game a depth better than many other mainstream games.

http://invalidopinions.com/2012/12/29/a-year-in-review-ands-favorite-games-of-2012/

No comments:

Post a Comment